Ruling on faskh nikah (annulment of marriage)


Khula has taken place with a ‘faskhe nikah’  as the husband has been unresponsive. Can husband and wife get married in the future again? If yes, then what is the method?


بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

For khula, the husband needs to consent to the divorce in exchange for receiving something from the wife. Therefore if the husband was unresponsive then the khula has not taken place. However, if faskh nikah was done, then the marriage has been dissolved.

After the marriage has been dissolved through a faskh nikah, it is permissible for the man and woman to get married again. If they wish to reunite before the iddat (waiting period) has ended, it will be permissible without a new marriage being performed. However, it is better to perform a new marriage. And if they wish to reunite after the iddat is over then they will have to perform a new marriage. [Al hilatun najizah]

Note: Faskh Nikah is the annulment of a marriage by an Islamic Court or a Shariah Council when the wife wants to proceed with divorce for a genuine reason but the husband refuses to grant the divorce.

Allah knows best
Syed Hussain ibn Imamuddin
16 Jumadal akhirah / 29 January 2021

Approved by
Mufti Muhammad Tahir Wadee
Darul Uloom Bury, UK


في بدائع الصنائع: وأما ركنه (الخلع) فهو الإيجاب والقبول؛ لأنه عقد على الطلاق بعوض فلا تقع الفرقة، ولا يستحق العوض بدون القبول۔

و في الحيلة الناجزة في باب مجموعة الفتاوى المالكية: إذا فسخ النكاح على الوجه المقرر المعتبر شرعا في حق من ذكر ثم عاد المفقود أو أيسر المعسر و أطاع المتعنت فإن كان ذالك في العدة رجعت الزوجة لزوجها مطلقا لكون الطلاق الرجعيا۔